January 18, 2015

Kids

It's surprising how much kids can change in such a short amount of time. Here are just a few updates/things on the kids in the last couple months.

Laken:
One day when Laken didn't have school, he was playing with his blocks in the living room while the other kids were taking their nap. All of a sudden he stopped, looked around and asked what the noise was. I assumed he was hearing the ticking of the clock, so I told him so. I pointed out that the clock in the kitchen has a second hand which is what was ticking. So he ran into the kitchen to check it out. Then he came back and stood by his blocks. Then he asked again what the sound was. I didn't hear anything else so I told him there was no noise. But he looked at me and said, "maybe it's the Holy Ghost talking to me". That was just so cute. I wish I had made it more into a teaching moment. But I just said 'maybe it is'. UGH! Hind-sight is 20/20. Anyway, it was still so precious to hear that.

Jared and I have been talking about getting him tested for a form of Autism. He has just had so many melt-downs that we aren't sure what to do about it. So since Jared works for a company that does all kinds of mental and behavioral counseling, we were able to talk to someone and get him set up for an appointment. It will be nice to know whether or not he has anything and what help we can get for him if he does.

He really enjoys crafts. That's nothing new but it's always fun to see the drawings he has made. He can be very creative sometimes.

Carter:
I don't know that there's too much that's new on Carter. Recently he has thrown some pretty big tantrums. He can really scream when he wants to. I ended up putting him in his room to try to help him calm down but when I started hearing lots of noise, I went to investigate. He had knocked over his play kitchen and was working on pulling the area rug around. So he got talked to and had to fix everything before being allowed out.

He has recently gotten into the puzzles. A few weeks ago, he would bring the puzzles out daily. He needs help doing them but has started figuring them out on his own. He'll dump them out and will have  put together a few pieces before I come to help. So he's improving.

Kaliya:
Little Miss has gotten into a bad habit of hitting. When her brothers get in her way or don't let her do something, she'll hit them. So we're trying to get her out of it.

She's learning more words: apple, orange, dog, cheese, banana,

She can now get onto the table. She knows to pull the chairs out just enough that she can climb onto it and get on the table. So we've had to make more of an effort to keep it cleaned off and make sure the boys put their dishes away. But she is getting better at listening when I tell her to get on a chair.


No comments: