All of a sudden, Laken is getting to be a big boy.
Here are some of his latest accomplishments:
- Does well in Nursery! -
The last two weeks, we haven't had any problems with nursery. When Sacrament meeting is over, we tell him it's time for nursery. He gets a big smile on his face then picks up all his toys and books and puts them into my church bag. He walks out into the hallway and to his classroom. We give him kisses and hugs and send him into the nursery room. He cries for a few seconds but once he gets into a toy, he's done with the tears. When we go to pick him up after meetings, he's a happy little boy!
- Potty training -
When we first bought a potty for him, Laken was interested in it but not to the point of using it. It seemed like he was afraid to sit on it. So we worked on that for a while. Then when he got used to it, we would have him try to use it when we went to change his diaper. We made a big deal about it when he did use it. The other day we decided to buy him some pull up diapers and try to really potty train him. Today is the first day but he seems to be doing really well. I've let him run around in the buck all day and keep asking him if he needs to use the potty. If he does he'll run in and use it. I'm so proud of him!
- Spoons -
Laken is finally using a spoon to eat. We've tried many times before but he never got the hang of it. He would hold it upside down or turn it too much before getting it to his mouth. It always resulted in a bigger mess. But in the last week, he's really gotten the hang of it. He's to the point now where he'll even eat some cereal for breakfast. He also uses his spoon for applesauce, yogurt, mac & cheese, corn, etc. I've realized that now we need more plastic bowls for him (since they're much easier than using a plate with a spoon).
- Mommy's helper -
Laken has always been a big helper (at least he tries to). But lately he has enjoyed helping us do the dishes. He used to just help with unloading the dishwasher but now he does it all. We unload the dishwasher (he does the silverware and his things). Then he pulls a chair over to the sink and gets ready to help wash off dishes. I have to put an apron on him, otherwise he gets his clothes drenched. He also loves to put the soap in the dishwasher and help me start it. Other than dishes, he loves to help with laundry. When I do a load of laundry, I can always count on him to help throw the clothes into the washer. And when the clothes are washed and dried, I can always count on him to hand me the clothes to fold.
- Binky -
A while ago we had him almost weened off his binky (except for night time) but when we had a hard time in nursery, I made the mistake of letting him have his binky on Sundays. BIG MISTAKE! That only made him regress with his binky to the point of never wanting to give it up. He would have the biggest tantrums when I took it away. But now we're back again to the point of being weened off it during the days. When he wakes up, he knows his binky goes on his toy organizer and he knows he doesn't get it again until it's time to sleep. I'm glad he's finally gotten to this point but I have no idea how we'll get him completely off it for sleeping. But we'll figure it out when that time comes.
- Talking -
Laken is doing better with talking and saying words but he still needs lots of encouraging. He "talks" a lot but I have no idea what he's saying. We've been working on saying and using actual words and he gets some but not all. So we'll keep working on that but like I said, he's getting better.
- Independence -
Not sure if this is really an accomplishment but it certainly is a struggle. Laken has been trying to be more independent on certain things but he gets so frustrated and doesn't like having help. For instance, getting a shirt on. He wants to do it all by himself but has a hard time getting his arms into the right holes. Then he has a fit but won't come to me for help. When I do try to help, he freaks out and runs away crying and screaming. He's trying so hard. Some other things he tries but can't quite do are putting on socks and shoes, putting in a movie, putting on his coat, and playing with certain toys.
Well, I think that's about it for now. I'm sure we'll have more good accomplishments in the weeks and months to come.

Laken using his spoon
No comments:
Post a Comment